Brannon-Heard House

The Brannon-Heard House Project - Circa 1905

 

  • Built by Charlie Brannon around 1905 and known as The Brannon Hotel.
     
  • Purchased in 1945 by the Cliff Heard Family to be used first as the family's primary dwelling and then later as Heard's Antiques.
     
  • Purchased in 2006 by The City of Cumming for the purpose of restoration and to make the building again functional.  Although not a candidate for the National Historic Register, the historical significance of the architectural style is important to the town's history.  And it’ s location a focal point for visitors to the town made it a worthy site to restore.
     
  • Funded by The City of Cumming with contingency monies set aside for this specific purpose.
     
  • In 2006, the City of Cumming Collectible Pewter Ornament carried the sketch of the house as drawn by Dr. David Hleap.  These will be available at the Brannon Heard House.  Other known artists who have drawn or painted the house are:  Virginia Heard (daughter of the owner), Trudi Dunham, Frank Hancock, a member of the Sawnee Artists Association and possibly an artist who signed her paintings, Raine.  We are sure there are countless others whose art is unknown to us.  The old house seems to have earned its right to restoration with so many people caring about it.
     
  • Utilized as a private events facility from 2006 to early 2018.  In April 2018, the Cumming City Council voted to lease the house to Sawnee Association of the Arts for creation of a downtown arts center featuring art galleries, art classes for adults, and a cafe area.