The Cumming Playhouse est. 2004
The Cumming 1923 Historic School
A Property of The City of Cumming
The Cumming Public School was first erected in 1923 at 101 School Street to serve grades 1-11 offering for the first time a High School Diploma in Cumming, Forsyth County, Georgia. Shortly thereafter it burned and was rebuilt within its same brick walls and reopened in 1927. Over the years the school transformed itself as needs arose and served as a primary grade school, middle grade school and in its final operative years as the headquarters of the Forsyth County Board of Education. The City of Cumming acquired the school in 1999 from the Forsyth County BOE and through the efforts of the Historical Society of Forsyth County, Annette Bramblett in particular, the old school was named to The National Register of Historic Places in 2000. The Historic Marker was dedicated in April 2006.
Funding for restoration was provided by Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax monies earmarked for Historic Preservation. During this process beautiful tongue and groove pine flooring and vaulted ceiling with exposed beams were uncovered in the school auditorium. This area was restored to its original architectural beauty and converted to the 184 seat Cumming Playhouse with state-of-the-art lighting and sound. Opening in July 2004, playhouse patrons have enjoyed many main stage plays as well as various concerts representing an array of music styles, blues & jazz, classical, bluegrass and country.
The school also provides an historic tour of Old Cumming via photographs, annuals, historic artifacts and authentically restored classrooms. It is home to the Bell Center for Southern Genealogical Research and The Historical Society of Forsyth County.
As a final touch added to the experience of the Cumming Playhouse and Historic School is "Tam’s Backstage Restaurant". Surrounded by an exciting atmosphere of a Broadway Pub, you will be offered the finest of entrees and beverages to make for a most memorable visit. Open air dining in the Historic Garden, an area filled with the old flower and shrubs from days gone by, adjacent to the main serving area and two additional catering rooms on the main level of the Historic School are also available.
Sure to become Cumming’s most exciting place to be, we invite you to come soon and see the many treasures to be discovered at 101 School Street.